This cake is a winner, especially for those who are not big cake fans. It is a shallow cake with yogurt, blueberry and lemon flavours. Not very sweet and if you want it sweeter you could just add more blueberries, maple syrup or vanilla or you could also place in stewed apples. Give a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 cup gluten-free flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup almond meal (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 100g unsalted butter, softened/melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (organic canadian) I use a little less but I don’t like it too sweet.
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 200gram Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (you can also use stewed apples to make sweeter)
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 190°c with rack in middle. Line the bottom of a 9×3-inch spring form pan (or 9 inch round cake pan) with grease proof paper. Grease the side of the pan with butter.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and continue beating until very creamy and light in color.
- Mix in the flour, Greek yogurt and lemon juice and combined. Make sure not to overmix.
- Transfer the cake batter to the spring form pan. Scatter blueberries evenly on top or you could fold in before transferring to cake tin.
- Bake until cake turns golden, and the tester comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes, depending on your oven.
- When the cake is done baking, let it cool (still in the baking pan) on a wire rack. After cake has cooled for about 40 minutes, release the cake from the spring form pan. At this point, if the cake is cool enough, you can slide your hand under the cake, between the parchment paper and the bottom portion of the spring form pan and move the cake with the parchment paper attached to its bottom onto a cake plate easily.
- If using a 9 inch round cake pan, cook in pan for about 30-40 minutes, then invert onto a plate to cook.
- Sit with a nice cup of herbal tea and enjoy.
Stay curious. Stay healthy. Share.